Friday, December 5, 2014

Aunt Hester's Snack Crackers

I'm convinced that I was born in the wrong era. When looking back through old family photos, and listening to the stories of my grandparents' epic parties... somewhere between 1930 and 1960 is where I belong. The stashes of old family recipes: appetizers, finger foods, snacks; they all lend themselves to a time where cocktail parties and entertaining people in your home were the height of sophistication. Then again...


Photos of my Nana drinking straight from the punch bowl. Stories of my Pop standing on his head, playing the kazoo. While, perhaps, not the height of sophistication... they were definitely the life of the party!

And, we all know that you can't host a proper party without some tasty munchies spread throughout the venue! Another one of my grandparents' frequent party-goers was my Aunt Hester.


And, with Aunt Hester, came her yummy bite-sized snack crackers! If you're in need of a quick recipe that you can just whip together for those last-minute party invites (or even just a treat that you can snack on while sitting in front of the TV), these are just what you need! 


Start of with 24 oz of oyster crackers, 1 heaping tsp dill weed, 1 heaping tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp lemon pepper, 1 pkg original ranch dressing mix, 1 C vegetable or canola oil, and 2 paper grocery bags. 

Fit one grocery bag inside the other, then start adding the ingredients in the order they are listed above. 



Roll the tope of the grocery bags down, sealing everything up, and start shaking for 5 minutes. Did I mention that this doubles as your arm workout for the day?

And, that's it. Seriously. It. Store the crackers in an air-tight container or Ziplock bag until ready to serve!


Now, since we don't really have any parties to attend this year... excuse me while I pour myself a bowl, and go watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes with my husband!

 photo signature_zps305a7b69.png

No comments: